"The ultimate responsibility for the
Girl Scout Movement rests with its members."
- Preamble to the Constitution of
Girl Scouts of the United States of America
The Democratic Process is a central tenet of Girl Scouting. We achieve it for girls by making our activities girl-planned and girl-led to the fullest extent possible. For older girls and adults we currently have a Delegate Assembly of elected representatives who meet annually to elect board members and officers and approve bylaws changes. We also hold Fall Forums and meet in Area Associations twice a year to elect area leaders and delegates, conduct area-related business, and hear reports from and send comments to our board.
Board of Directors
Girl Scouts of Kentuckiana is governed by a Board of Directors, which provides strategic leadership, advocacy, decision-making, policy development and oversight. Board members are elected by the council’s corporate membership. Although board members are elected as individuals, the Board of Directors functions as one body in deliberating and make policy level decision.
Board Meeting are held at the Louisville PLC at 5:00 PM EST on the following dates:
- May 29, 2018
- September 25, 2018
- December 4, 2018
- January 29, 2019
- March 12, 2019
Minutes from Past Meetings
Click on the date to download a copy of the minutes.
Strategic Direction: Four Focus Areas
- Grow and retain girl members
- Grow and retain volunteer leaders
- Consistent outcomes based program
- Multiple pathways of participation
- Successful product programs
- Focused, strategic marketing and communication efforts
- Increase funds for all sources
- Diversity funding
Members 14 years and older may serve as council delegates and participate in the council democratic process. Delegates are elected at Area Association Meetings following the Annual Council Meeting in the spring.
Delegates’ responsibilities are as follows:
- Represent membership views in local meetings and the Council Annual Meeting
- Encourage attendance of membership at local Area Meetings
- Ensure operational issues are directed to council staff and policy issues are directed to the Board of Directors
- Support the Girl Scout Movement in local communities
For more information see the Delegate Booklet.