Girl Scout Journeys invite girls to explore a theme through many experiences and from many perspectives. All the joys of travel are built right in: meeting new people, finding new things, making memories, and gathering keepsakes. Along the way, girls take on challenges that guide them to develop their leadership skills and values and earn awards recognizing their accomplishments.
On every Leadership Journey, everything girls do—whether it's performing science experiments, creating art projects, cooking simple meals, or learning to protect the planet's water supply—is aimed at giving them the benefits of the Girl Scout "Keys to Leadership": Discover, Connect, Take Action. Here's how they work:
- A girl Discovers her special skills and talents, finds the confidence to set challenging goals for herself and strives to live by her values. This includes being proud of where she came from as well as where she's going.
- A girl Connects with others, which means she learns how to team up, solve conflicts, and have healthy relationships. These skills help her in school right now and prepare her for any career she chooses in the future.
- A girl Takes Action and makes the world a better place, learning a lot about her community and the world along the way.
For all three leadership Journey series, the adult guide and the girl book have everything a volunteer needs to help inspire the girls and to assist them as they go. It's all there for you!
For each grade level, there is an electronic Journey Map application to guide girls and adults along their journey. It gives suggestions for ways to tie cookies, trips, awards, outdoors, traditions to the Journey.
This series has been intentionally designed to engage girls of every age in:
- A critical thinking process related to identifying and researching issues they care about
- Developing community networks, and creating and implementing plans to take action
This series invites girls of every age on an adventure to:
- Explore the wonders of the Earth as they enjoy the natural world
- Investigate the science that keeps our Earth—and us—spinning
This series invites girls to tell their story in a variety of outlets:
- Self-esteem and Creative Expression
- Healthy Living
- Media Literacy